OK friends. This is by far my favourite coconut recipe EVER. It's super easy, I almost always have all the ingredients on hand, and they're the perfect treat without being overly sweet. So, if you love coconut anything as much as I do, you'll have to try this! Plus, you can give them to your awesome neighbours when they lend you their dolly or sign a package for you when you're gone (we seriously have the best neighbours!).
I found the original recipe on Pinterest last summer and modified it a bit to add more flavour, but they're just as delicious without the added ingredients. The original recipe also gives you the option to make them into thin crisps or regular cookies. I've tried both and prefer the crispy texture much better.
So, read on below for the recipe for these delicious coconut crisps!!
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 1/2 cups shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- bit of vanilla extract
- bit of almond extract
- bit of salt for sprinkling (ideally fleur de sel but regular sea salt is fine)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) & line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Warm up the coconut oil in the microwave (just a little!!) and mix with coconut flakes in a medium sized bowl. Make sure the flakes are well mixed with the oil.
- Beat eggs, extracts, and sugar together in another medium sized bowl (or transfer the coconut batter to another dish temporarily).
- Gently mix in the coconut mixture into the egg mixture.
- 1 tablespoon at a time, drop the batter onto the parchment-lined baking sheets. Gently flatten them with your fingers. Continue with the rest of the batter and make sure to leave at least 1 inch between each crisps! (The coconut oil will melt into each other if you don't!).
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges are golden. (9 works best for my oven but do what works for yours. Keep your eyes open because they burn easily if you wait too long!).
- Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle a pinch of salt over them. (If you wait too long the salt might not stick!). Let them rest for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer the crisps onto a cooling rack and let them rest again for at least 5-7 minutes or until they've cooled (if you haven't eaten them all by then!!).
- Transfer them into an air-tight container to maintain their crispness.
Makes 17-19 crisps. This recipe easily doubles - just add twice as much for each ingredient and bake as usual!
Original recipe found here.